Monday, October 13, 2008

Crucial Juncture in My Career

Ever since joining Virtusa I wanted be a Project Manager. I saw it as a glamorous job. But all that glamour and money has its price to pay. I mean, I think I have an idea of the pressure a PM goes through when he hears one of his key resources is leaving. But then again, no one is indispensable. That and a few more things made me rethink of my career goal lately.

Firstly, early this year when I was about to leave the company putting my pay first and making exposure my second priority, I went to meet Atheek, my role model, the guy I dream I could be some day. He said “where ever you go, don’t lose your core competency, because out of here no one will care a f--- for generalists”.

Secondly, I saw a few PMs losing their jobs overnight. I guess generalists are easily replaceable.

So, now I stand at a crucial point in my career. Will I continue in QA? or, is being a PM that much of a dream deep in me that I couldn’t let go that easily.

1 comment:

Nairooz Nilafdeen said...

Well...I hate to say this...but you should keep out Virtusa issues within the company..dont make it public.